Former First Lady Michelle Obama celebrates her 54th birthday today (17th January 2018). It is the first birthday in eight years which Michelle has spent not as a resident of the White House but a normal citizen, making it a particularly special one.
Three days after her birthday in 2016, Michelle and her husband, former US President Barack Obama, signalled the end of an era by attending the inauguration of President Donald Trump.
Since then, democratic supporters have missed Michelle’s grace, elegance, classy style and awe-inspiring speeches. In one of her last addresses, Michelle described serving as First Lady “the greatest honour of my life”.
Well, in honour of Michelle’s greatness, The Silhouette UK celebrates the former FLOTUS’ birthday with some of her most memorable words of wisdom. Which quote is your favourite?
Michelle Obama’s most inspirational quotes
1. “How we explain that when someone is cruel or acts like a bully you don’t stoop to their level. No, our motto is: When they go low, we go high” – 2016
2. “Success is only meaningful and enjoyable if it feels like your own” – 2012
3. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half its citizens” – 2014
4. “I am so tired of fear. And I don’t want my girls to live in a country, in a world, based on fear” – 2008
5. “One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals” – 2008
Watch Michelle Obama’s last speech as First Lady:
6. “Don’t look at the bankbook or the title. Look at the heart. Look at the soul. Look at how the guy treats his mother and what he says about women. How he acts with children he doesn’t know. And, more important, how does he treat you? When you’re dating a man, you should always feel good” – 2009
7. “We’re so afraid of each other… Colour, wealth, these things that don’t really matter still play too much of a role in how we see one another. And it’s sad, because the thing that least defines us is the colour of our skin, is the size of our bank account. None of that matters” – 2016
8. “You have to fill your bucket with positive energy and if people are bringing you down — whether that’s your boo or your best friend — you have to learn how to push these people to the side” – 2015
9. “I admit it: I am louder than the average human being and have no fear of speaking my mind. These traits don’t come from the colour of my skin but from an unwavering belief in my own intelligence” – 2011
10. “I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women playing with their dogs on the White House lawn” – 2016
11. “When you’ve worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back” – 2012
12. “What I have never been afraid of is to be a little silly, and you can engage people that way. My view is, first you get them to laugh, then you get them to listen. So I’m always game for a good joke, and I’m not so formal in this role. There’s very little that we can’t do that people wouldn’t appreciate” – 2016
13. “Do not die in the history of your past hurts and past experiences, but live in the now and future of your destiny”
14. “Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude” – 2010
15. “You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have, because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own” – 2011